Financial Support

icon-financialThe benefit system can be confusing especially if this is the first time you have had any experience of it but please remember that help is there if you need it. This help can come in many forms; a hospital social worker, Macmillan or breast care nurse, someone at your GP surgery or from one of the links below.

Factors such as your age, National Insurance contributions, and length of illness will be taken into account when assessing whether or not you are eligible for benefits.

It is important to apply for benefits as soon as you feel able (whether or not you think you qualify), as many benefits can't be backdated.

Citizens Advice Bureau

logo cab

Citizens Advice Bureau provides free confidential and independent advice and information on any problems including social security, debt, housing and employment. Advice is given in person or by telephone.

There is a Macmillan/Citizen’s Advice Bureau initiative in Peterborough which offers financial advice from CAB’s office in Park Road. Please contact the Peterborough office for further information and ask to speak to a Macmillan Advisor.

Dept for Work and Pensions


The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) supplies useful help and information for people with disabilities and their carers but cannot enter into individual cases.

You would need to contact either the Peterborough Jobcentre or Social Security Office for individual advice.

Dial - Scope


Scope supports the DIAL network, an independent network of local disability information and advice services run by and for disabled people.

Every year DIALs help over a quarter of a million disabled people.
I have a question about disability. Who do I contact?

Free Prescriptions

logo macmillan

Since 1 April 2009, cancer patients in England have been eligible for free prescriptions.

Following the success of our prescription charges campaign, cancer patients are now entitled to free prescriptions. We encourage all cancer patients undergoing treatment for cancer, the effects of cancer or the effects of cancer treatment to apply for an exemption certificate.

Find out how successful the campaign has been in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
How do I apply?

Patients can apply for an exemption certificate by collecting a FP92A form from their GP surgery or oncology clinic. The form must be countersigned by their GP or hospital doctor, then sent to the NHS Business Services Authority (BSA), who will issue an exemption certificate.

Prescription Prepayment Certificate


If you need more than 13 prescribed medicines each year, you could save money with a 12-month 'PPC'.

You can also buy a three-month PPC, which will save you money if you need more than three prescribed medicines in three months.

The charge for a single prescribed medicine is £7.85, whereas a three-month PPC will cost you £29.10 and a 12-month PPC £104.00.

  • Telephone order line and advice about PPCs - 0300 330 1341

Drop-in Centres

Drop in advice centre:

Peterborough Social Security Office

  • Telephone: 01733 297600
  • Textphone: 01733 297618
  • Clifton House, 84 Broadway
  • Peterborough. PE1 1QZ

Peterborough Jobcentre

  • Telephone: 01733 415500
  • Textphone: 01223 545016
  • Frobisher House, 72 Westgate
  • Peterborough. PE1 1RR